The Key to Results that Move You
STEPS TO BUYING A HOME
Hire your realtor to expertly guide you with the biggest financial investment most people make.
Start searching for homes
Complete home inspections: Make sure there are no defects you want to negotiate to have fixed. This is also a good time to plan ahead by measuring and taking photos for furniture placement.
Closing day: This is a big day! Prepare to read and sign numerous documents.
Find a lender and secure financing
Make an offer
Get insurance and establish utilities
Get the keys and move in!
HOW CAN A REALTOR HELP ME
Your realtor is your chief advocate, confidante and hand-holder in the process so you want to find a good fit. A good realtor will:
- Provide education about your market conditions
- Help you customize the home search to meet your needs
- Guide you to the homes that offer the best fit
- Negotiate terms of contract and any repairs in your best interests
- Provide referrals to other trusted professionals (lenders, inspectors, contractors)
- Coordinate showings, assistance from other professionals, and escrow process
- Pay attention to contract details and deadlines
- Solve any other issues to make it seamless for you
HOME WISH LIST
What to consider . . .
hover over each category for suggestions
Prioritize the features you must have and those you would like to have. Share this information with your agent to help create a targeted home search.
single family, condo, apartment, townhome?
how many square feet, bedrooms, and bathrooms
single or multi level, bedrooms or garage on main floor, how many stairs?
size, style, storage options, open to other rooms?
historic, traditional, contemporary, renovated, brand new construction?
size, fenced, privacy, outdoor entertaining space, patio/deck?
how many spots needed? garage, carport, parking pad, or circular driveway?
fireplace, workshop, attic/basement, storage, pool?
HOW TO CHOOSE LOCATION WISELY
Your new home’s location impacts current and future value, as well as your lifestyle. Start thinking about your preferences for neighborhoods and access to amenities that can assist your agent in creating a targeted home search.
Inform your agent about your preferences regarding :
- Desirable city or neighborhood
- Urban, suburban, rural setting
- Public school districts or private schools
- Proximity to interstate access or thoroughfares
- Proximity to shopping and restaurants
- Access to hospitals and health care
- Proximity to recreation facilities, parks, playgrounds, athletic fields
- Commute time